For today’s What I Ate Wednesday post I’m going to share with you some delicious salads I’ve eaten in January and February 2013. After a very long time without eating any salads, they are back in my life and I am loving them. I’ve basically just been making sure that I have salad greens of some sort on hand, and then I throw in most of what I have on hand to throw in.
For me, a main event salad (as opposed to a side-dish salad) needs a lot more than raw veggies. It needs hearty vegetables (cooked yam, roasted squash, sautéed mushrooms), grains (quinoa, whole wheat couscous), or vegan protein (lentils, nuts, tofu). And for me, the best way to assure that I’ll happily scarf down the whole big bowl of salad is to include something spicy, balanced with a tangy acidic dressing. As you’ll notice from the descriptions below, my favourite dressing lately has been just a combination of lime or lemon juice and Vega Antioxidant Omega Oil Blend (which I’m gonna write as ‘Vega Oil’ for the rest of this post). Also, when in doubt, avocado will make any and every salad better!
I hope this provides you with some salad-making inspiration! Enjoy!
Left to right:
1) Romaine, spinach, red pepper, and cucumber tossed with lime juice & Vega Oil. Mushrooms and Soyganic Smoked Tofu cooked with leftover marinade from Veganomicon’s Hot Sauce Glazed Tempeh. Plus avocado and black pepper. This was seriously the BEST salad ever! I actually made the exact same salad the next day!
2) Romaine, spinach, cucumber, pickled jalapeño, roasted butternut squash, whole wheat couscous, cranberry orange vinaigrette, and black pepper.
3) Romaine, spinach, orange pepper, and cucumber tossed with lime juice and Vega Oil. Soyganic Smoked Tofu sautéed with soy sauce and Sriracha. Avocado. I swear all that other stuff is under all that avocado and tofu!
Left to right:
4) Lentil Taco Salad 1 – Romaine, cucumber, and red pepper tossed with lime juice and Vega Oil. Lentil Taco Filling*. This was so good I took the exact same salad to work 3 days in a row!
5) Lentil Taco Salad 2 – Romaine, cucumber, and red pepper tossed with lime juice and Vega Oil. Lentil Taco Filling and Daiya Jalapeño Garlic Havarti.
6) Cooked quinoa, red pepper, yellow pepper, a cut up Curried Chickpea Quinoa Burger* (a variation on this one), lime juice, Vega Oil, black pepper.
Left to right:
7) Green leaf lettuce, fresh mint, cucumber, red pepper, a kiwi, lime juice, Vega Oil, 2 warm cut-up Gardein Chipotle Lime Crispy Fingers.
8) Cooked quinoa, cucumber, red pepper, fresh mint, 1 cut-up Gardein 7 Grain Crispy Tender, lemon juice, Vega Oil, black pepper.
9) Green leaf lettuce, spring mix, red pepper, lemon juice, Vega Oil, avocado, sliced almonds, Black Pepper Mushrooms*.
*Recipes coming soon.
Follow this link to check out the rest of What I Ate Wednesday #109.
This post has been linked up to Healthy Vegan Friday #31. Go check it out!
What are your favourite salad toppings and/or your favourite salad dressing?
You May Also Enjoy:
What I Ate Wednesday #105 – I shared 18 recent meals including some other great salads!
Smoothies of 2013: Part 1 – 6 different smoothie recipes!